Do you know the true cost of a bad hire?
Sadly, most of us don’t.
If you did a search on Google, you will find all kinds of estimates and suggestions regarding the negative financial impact of bad hires. Some have even suggested that the cost of a bad hire can be up to twenty times the executive’s base salary!
Whatever the numbers may be, the financial impact of a bad hire should never be underestimated. Business Owners, CEOs, CHROs, HR professionals and Hiring Managers should never underestimate the negative ramifications of a poor hire.
The fallout can be extensive and could affect the entire organisation in ways that are not always obvious.
To get an idea of the negative financial impact of a bad hire, here are some indirect costs associated with it:
- lower personal productivity among dissatisfied employees
- disruptions caused by dissatisfied employees
- higher turnover rates among productive employees
- damages to reputation and market share
- lost management time
- increased stress and anxiety from people problems
- poor employee morale
- lost business opportunities
What about Direct Costs?
The following will help provide you with a better idea of the direct financial cost of just one bad hire in your organisation (depending on the seniority of the position):
- Recruiting Fees
- Background Checks
- Employee Referral Incentives / Fees
- HR Department time and expenses
- Hiring Manager’s time and expenses
- Travel expenses
- Base Salary
- Relocation Costs
- Employee Perks (car, house, etc)
- Vacation/Time off
- Stock options
- Severance Pay
- Legal Costs
- Outplacement Costs
- HR department time and expenses
Multiply the total cost by the number of bad hires in your organisation and you will begin to realise the astronomical cost of bad hires and the extensive impact it could have on your organisation in the long term, and the opportunity costs to your organisation.
Obviously, the total cost of your bad hire depends very much on what benefits or perks he or she has, and it also depends on whether your organisation is a Multi-National Corporation (MNC) or a local business.
Whatever it is, the total cost of one bad hire could really add-up for you and your organisation.
So if you are a Business Owner, CEO, CHRO, Senior Executive, HR Professional or a hiring manager, then you should be concerned. Problems with bad hires are like a cancer that will slowly and silently destroy your company from the inside out. And these diseases often times creep up on you on the quiet, and by the time you realise what has hit your organisation, it might already be too late.
“Problems with bad hires are like a cancer that will slowly and silently destroy your company from the inside out. And these diseases often times creep up on you on the quiet, and by the time you realise what has hit your organisation, it might already be too late”
So how can you avoid making a bad hire for your team or your organisation?
What can you do to minimise your chances of making bad hires?
How can you tell if the candidate is lying?
What questions are the most effective in an interview?
How can you get the candidate to be truthful about his relationship with his bosses and peers?
How do you formulate effective follow-up questions?
Get all the answers on 22 & 23 January 2015 here in Singapore.
Join us and LEARN HOW TO:
- Avoid the common mistakes most interviewers make
- Pick the right candidates every time
- Prepare effectively for your next interview
- Craft highly effective and relevant interview questions
- Ask truly effective real-time follow-up questions
- Encourage candidates to be truthful
- Read and Interpret candidate’s body language
- Detect deceit, lies and deception
- Uncover the candidate’s key relationships with subordinates, peers, superior
- Screen out all the wrong candidates before they even set foot in your organization
- Avoid the emotional stress of having to deal with bad employees
This is one workshop you don’t want to miss!
Click here to register now!
Share this article with your friends and colleagues!
Learn how to hire the right people every time, avoid the mistakes most interviewers make, maximise employee engagement levels, lead and manage your employees to peak performance, minimise attrition rate, and so much more…
PLUS: Receive a free sample chapter on How to Craft Effective Interview Questions from my yet-to-be-released book How to Hire the Right People Every Time: The Executive’s Guide to Getting It Right
Get your weekly tips now. Join us here.